- In the Communications/Mitteilungen the Konkoly Observatory publishes papers with large amounts of observational data, and proceedings of workshops and meetings held in the Observatory. The first issue was published in 1929, one or two issues are being published yearly since then.
- The Information Bulletin on Variable Stars is a bulletin of the of the International Astronomical Union Commissions G1 and G4, published by the Konkoly Observatory, Budapest, Hungary. IBVS is a fully peer reviewed express journal. It is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access. IBVS is indexed by ADS, CDS, Scopus, archived in ADS and MTA REAL-J. The editors are: L. Molnár, E. Plachy, R. Szabó. The chairperson of the Editorial board is Joanna Mikolajewska. Technical editor: A. Holl, typesetting: E. Bányai.
Notice to the authors:
We announce with regret that after careful deliberation we made the decision to end the active phase of the journal, and, from March 10th, 2019, we no longer accept new submissions. The journal has been facing mounting challenges both in term of human resources and IT background, and was getting harder and harder to maintain. At this point, we feel that resuscitating the journal would require expensive investments that are not justified by the number of papers we publish.
We are thankful of the many editors and production staff, board members, and referees, for their hard work over the decades, and for the authors who chose IBVS to publish their results. We strive to process all remaining manuscripts and to maintain the archive of the journal here, and to to make the papers and data files available at external sources.
If you are looking for alternative places to publish, we may suggest the following places:
- Astronomical Notes, New Astronomy, Astrophysics and Space Science, for more in-depth papers;
- Journal of the AAVSO, Open European Journal on Variable Stars, and Peremennye Zvezdy/Variable Stars are field-specific journals for variable star research;
- Research Notes of the AAS, for rapid publication of short or time-critical works;
- The AAVSO databases VSX and AID to deposit observational data of variable stars.
László Molnár - Editor-in-Chief
- Works from the field of History of Astronomy are published in the "Monographs" series.
- The "Occasional Technical Notes" series contains user guides for the various technical facilities of the Konkoly Observatory, and software developed at the Observatory.
- This Hungarian book is extremely useful for high school students preparing for astronomy competitions, such as the International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics, as it provides them with the theoretical knowledge they need to succeed in the competition.
- Several years of work have been put into a well-organised publication, which is a gap-filler in the field of Hungarian secondary school science subjects. It is closely linked to the book of the same title and plays a central role in the preparation for the International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics.